Postelle Schoolhouse Garden Home
$224,777 (new price)
2500+ square feet home on 6.78 Acres
Three-Four Bedrooms + 2 Full Baths
with Pond, Robust Spring, 2 Creeks & Meadows
3 miles from the Ocoee River in southeast Tennessee on GA & NC statelines
25 minutes from Harrah’s Cherokee Casino
The home is an historic 1899 schoolhouse that has been lovingly owned and upgraded over the years by four owners. Sits in Tennessee (no state income taxes) just outside the city limits of Ducktown – 1 mile from North Carolina, 2 miles from Georgia. At the end of its own, very short, private road, with nothing beyond it but hundreds of acres of trees and mountains.
- 6.78 acres of meadows & shady rolling hills of hardwoods & scattered old growth conifers that backs up to the Land Trust and the Cherokee National Forest beyond that.
- 1 spring-fed pond, 2 creeks & 1 strong spring, an ornamental goldfish/koi pond on the huge garden patio
- 2500+ sq ft of living space (not counting the two large decks)
- Brick, stone and timber work exterior
- Covered 2 vehicle carport
- 2 outdoor decks
- Hot Tub
- Circular drive
- One-level living
- Central Heat & Air
- 4 gas fireplaces & 1 wood burning stove fireplace
- Yearly property tax is $885.00
- Will sell fully furnished
About as perfect Feng Shui as any land could have. For those who study feng shui, they will be blown away because they’ll never find a more perfect setting/arrangement:
- The pond is 1/3 acre spring fed (with 2 huge pet koi and lots of bass) is great for swimming, standup paddleboard (SUP) and kayak workouts. It sits exactly due north of the house 50 feet from the side hot tub deck
- Creeks on both sides of the house
- A strong spring below the turtle hill that is an alternate water source for the house (standby pump in pantry)
- Turtle hill in the meadow behind the house in the NE
- Crouching dragon/dragons nest mountains further beyond that hill in the northeast http://alexstark.com/pdfs/Topography.pdf (see page 12).
- A heart-shaped drive that circles through the back double carport for an easy entrance to the home.
- Small old-timey barn in the back of one meadow (that could easily be fenced for horses)
- Small old-timey 2 bay garage with garden shed (love needed) that is wired but disconnected from the electricity and can easily be reconnected by new owners
- Huge & Private Zen patio with goldfish fountain pond along one side
The home and property is at the very back corner of a historic train stop community of 20-25 houses founded in 1897. It is at the end of a very short private road and in the back of the old Postelle community with great families who have been here for generations.
The property sits on top of the largest aquifers in the area and gardens and trees grow crazy well. All the neighbors refer to this fact about how we have the best land in the community. Lots of flower beds.
We have the most outstanding next door neighbors for which one could ever ask.
Behind the house are hundreds of acres (maybe thousands?) of sloping mountains and trees. The land is in a owner-forestry management status to keep the property taxes low. We own the 30+ acres that adjoins on 3 sides behind the property and it is in forest protection status. That property borders the Land Trust. Beyond that is the Cherokee National Forest.
- 2500+ square feet of living space
- Central Heat & Air with 4 gas fireplaces & 1 wood stove
- Living room with gas fireplace
- One sitting room off kitchen with gas fireplace
- 3-4 bedrooms with one of them having a gas fireplace (there were 2 living rooms and we converted one to a bedroom adding double glass entry doors and a porch-balcony).
- 2 Bathrooms
- Large wonderful kitchen
- One long Sun Room across the back of the home with a cozy wood stove reading area on one end and a gas fireplace office area on the other end
- New carpet and flooring throughout
- 4 year old-new wiring & breaker box, recessed lighting, porches, rock work, timber on historic brick
- Drive through 2 vehicle protected carport, circular drive.
A great house as is, even better for someone who wants to come in and turn into something even more incredible — like make the kitchen a killer-cook’s modern-day designer kitchen, or blow out walls to the bathrooms and turn them into spas. Plenty of room to make these dreams happen.
Before we decided to sell, we had the home on AirBnB during the times we were traveling. It made a great income. It, also, has been the setting for several outdoor weddings & receptions. Which is a tremendous income as well. The meadow beside it is level and great for parking. Right now it is kept in hay as well as the distant meadow behind the small heirloom apple orchard in the back where most wedding vows take place.
Situated in Tennessee (no state income taxes) directly on the North Carolina & Georgia state-lines
- 3 miles from the Ocoee Whitewater Center and Ocoee River
- 3 miles from the back of Campbell Cove Lake
- 25 minutes from the new Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River Casino in Murphy, NC making for a great location if new owners want to continue with AirBnB.
- 20 minutes from downtown Blue Ridge, GA and Lake Blue Ridge.
- 1 hour from the Nantahala River and Nantahala Outdoor Center.